Marin County Family Law Attorney
The legal arena of family law covers a range of personal, delicate matters. The professional Family Law advocates in Marin at The Schoenberg Family Law Group, P.C., offer comprehensive and compassionate legal services to address all of your family law needs. Our experienced attorneys can guide you through these often stressful and frustrating times.
When diligent counsel and representation with integrity matter, The Schoenberg Family Law Group, P.C., is a trusted choice in Marin County. We take cases from any city in Marin from San Rafael to Fairfax and more, we are experts at trying cases in the Marin County Courthouse. Schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys to discuss any of the following:
- Prenuptial agreements
- Postnuptial agreements
- Division of marital assets
- Complex property division
- Post-separation support
- Orders for protection
- Child custody
- Child support
- Child visitation
We will work with you to protect and defend your legal rights and personal interests.
What is Family Law?
Family law is a civil branch of the legal field that deals with family relationships. The most familiar areas of family law include divorce, child custody, and child support. However, family law consists of a vast array of legal issues.
Attorneys who practice family law represent their clients in all types of family court proceedings. However, divorce is frequently the reason for hiring a family law attorney.
Family Law and Marriage in Marin County, California
Marin County family law attorneys are valuable in any situation that surrounds marriage, including the following:
- Premarital agreements: Prenuptial agreements are contracts created by family law attorneys before a couple is married listing each person’s assets, and the rights of each person if the marriage fails.
- Postnuptial agreements: Family law attorneys create postnuptial agreements after a couple is married, and their circumstances change, calling for a new agreement between the couple.
- Divorce: Each spouse in a divorce hires family law attorneys. The family law attorneys help the couple settle before trial through dividing marital property, calculating spousal support, and proposing any needed plan for child custody, visitation, and support. If unsuccessful, family law attorneys represent their clients in trial.
- Child custody and child support: Family law attorneys for the parents generally settle these matters within a larger divorce case. Parenting plans are agreed upon or placed before a judge for argument and a decision. Attorneys fairly and accurately calculate child support, ensuring they meet any guidelines and state requirements.
- Child custody and child support modifications: Attorneys make modifications after a divorce when living conditions and financial conditions change. They calculate and settle these matters for their clients, or represent their clients before a judge in a hearing regarding these changes.
- Legal separation: Family law attorneys are hired by couples individually in a legal separation. It is not a termination of a marriage like a divorce. However, it defines the legal rights and obligations of each person like a divorce.
Family Law and Children in Marin County
There are many cases involving children alone where family law attorneys are vital, such as:
- Paternity: A family law attorney represents either the mother or the father. The mother’s attorney files a case to secure child support payments from an absent father. The father’s attorney files for a paternity order to obtain a relationship with his child.
- Child custody and child support: Family law attorneys can help to settle child custody and support schedules that arise from paternity cases.
- Child abuse and domestic violence: Child abuse and domestic violence have both family law and criminal law implications. Family law attorneys represent parties in the civil matters, including in the juvenile court system and protective order hearings.
All family relationships are potentially subject to acts of violence, including spousal relationships, parent and child relationships, and elder relationships. Family law attorneys are valuable aids in helping their clients with domestic violence.
Name Change and Inheritance in Marin County
Another common family law issue is a name change. While a name change is a simple process upon marriage or divorce, some circumstances require petitioning the court for an order. A court order is needed to officially change a name on government-issued identification documents, such as a passport or social security card.
Inheritance during marriage and divorce is also a family law matter. Family law attorneys provide valuable guidance on keeping inheritance separate in the case of divorce or separation.
Discuss Your Case with an Experienced Marin County Family Law Attorney
At The Schoenberg Family Law Group, P.C., we know the quality of family law representation you receive and the results you obtain can impact your life for many years to come. That is why we are a client-driven law firm. Our focus and goal is to help protect your rights and achieve your legal goals while providing you with the clear legal guidance and experienced representation you deserve.
Our attorneys offer a proven record of results and are ready to begin working for you. We understand that not every case resolves amicably. When courtroom litigation is necessary, we will vigorously represent your case.